- Your search for the ultimate marinade that packs serious umami punch is over! You won’t need another recipe after trying ours. It’s a game-changer. Promise. It’s also all-purpose, which means it complements poultry, fish, meat and tofu. Yeah, we thought of everything! Whisk together in a bowl, the following and massage into any protein (makes enough to season 3-4 lbs. of bone-in chicken or 2-3 lbs. boneless –
- 1.2 Tbsp. jerk paste marinade
- 2.2 Tbsp. Mombasa sauce
- 3.2 Tbsp. oil
- 4.1 tsp. salt
- 5.2 tsp. fish sauce (highly, highly recommended. For vegan option, use soy sauce)
- Apply generously (true African-style).
- For best results, marinate overnight (1-2 hours for seafood).
- For a sweet taste, add honey, agave, molasses or brown sugar (can be used as a glaze).
- Make slashes on bone-in-chicken or thick pieces of meat for deeper flavor penetration.
- For that smoky, authentic flavor, cook over charcoal or use a gas grill.
- Mix 1 to 1 with ground espresso powder, for a robust and earthy flavor, with a bittersweet dimension.