Zanzibari Chicken Curry
Zanzibar Island is renowned for a plethora of things – from sandy white beaches, to architectural wooden doors – to its world class cuisine. Our Zanzibari curry sweeps you across the Indian ocean to experience the best of Zanzibar. Spiced generously to warm the palate and balanced beautifully with coconut milk to deliver flavors unique to this exotic island.
- 1 jar Zanzibar Curry Simmer Sauce
- 1 large red or yellow onion finely diced
- ¼ cup coconut or canola oil
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 2-inch chunks or 3 lbs. bone-in drumsticks or thighs
- 4 small potatoes or sweet potatoes cut into halves
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ¾ cup water
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- ½ -1 tsp. sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 6 oz. bag of fresh spinach (optional)
- In a large heavy-bottomed pan, heat half of the oil to medium high heat. Add chicken and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil. Add onions; cook until soft and translucent – about 5-7minutes. Add tomato paste and continue cooking for an additional five minutes.
- Empty jar of Zanzibar into the pan. Add water to the jar and shake well (with lid tightly screwed on) to release any sauce clinging to the jar. Pour into pan. Stir to combine.
- Return chicken pieces to the pan. Add potatoes and stir together. Bring to a boil and immediately turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer covered for 30-45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Turn off heat.
- Add coconut milk, salt, sugar, lime juice and bag of spinach (if using). Stir to combine. Test for salt and adjust if needed
- Allow sauce to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving..
- Serve over cooked jasmine rice along with chapati or naan bread.
- For a thicker consistency, increase tomato paste to 4 Tbsp.
- For a seafood alternative, simmer sauce uncovered until thickened – for about 20-30 minutes, then add 6-8 salmon fillets or 2-3 lbs. raw shrimp and continue simmering until seafood is cooked – for about 10 -15 minutes.
- To thicken sauce, simply simmer uncovered until it reaches desired consistency.
- Add ½ tsp kaani sauce for heat and depth.