- After emptying Mombasa into a heavy-bottomed pan, rinse jar with ¼ cup and add it to the pan before simmering. Simmer covered. For a looser consistency increase water up to ½ cup.
- To thicken sauce, simmer uncovered for 10–15 minutes or until sauce reaches your desired thickness.
- To add a dimension of silkiness, simmer covered with 2 Tbsp. tomato paste and ½ cup water. Simmer until tomato paste cooks off. Add more water if sauce becomes too thick.
- For a Taste of the Tropics and an east African island vibe, simmer with ¼ cup water and half a can of full fat coconut milk. Adjust salt at the end of cooking.
- Spicy, sweet, sour and savory are Mombasa’s trademark flavor profile. We added just enough sugar to balance and complement the other flavors without overwhelming the palate with sweetness. If you desire a sweeter taste, add extra sugar or honey. Perfect to use as a glaze.
- Mombasa is also our most versatile sauce. She’s like the perfect little black dress – dress her down for quick, casual and simple weekday meals, or bling her up for fancy dinner parties that your guests will rave about for months.
- Product separation occurs naturally in our Mombasa sauce. Shake well before use.